Sunday, November 9, 2014

19 Thoughts from a 3 Hour Workout on a 2k Loop

1. Jesus Christ it's still dark out why do we have to start this workout in the pitch black of morning I could have slept for at LEAST two more hours and I definitely didn't drink enough coffee and I'll NEVER be a morning person no matter what anyone says

2. Okay well at least skiing in the dark makes me feel like I'm going a whole lot faster than I actually am. Thank god.

3. Oh look, only another 15 minutes until the sun comes up. Only 2.5 more hours to go!

4. Do you think anyone will notice if I just go hide in the woods?

5. Man my legs are tired.

6. Also my arms.

7. Also my core. Also everything.

8. What should I eat when this is over? I think I'll make an omelette. No, a quesadilla. No.... a sandwich. Or maybe I'll just have ice cream. People would judge me if I just had ice cream. You know what? I skied for 3 hours today. I deserve the ice cream.

9. Although grilled cheese sounds super good too... Okay grilled cheese and ice cream it is.

10. ... Is it socially acceptable to eat grilled cheese and ice cream at 10:30 in the morning?

11. Okay.. starting to look a little bit like a blind penguin, focus on technique for a bit. Right arm in, left arm back, even weight shift. Relaxed shoulders.

12. What lap is this again? 39? Is this what it feels like to be one of those ponies at carnivals that just walks around in a circle for hours?

13. I am 400% over this workout.

14. Okay, but it's actually pretty gorgeous out. Point to Canada. Nice job Canada.

15. And I guess I'm feeling pretty decent now. It just took a little to work into it.

16. Oh look, teammates! Hi friends. I'll ski with them. This is nice.

17. OH my gosh it's already been 2.5 hours WHERE did the time go I am almost done with this workout! Well now I'm feeling pretty good. This is pretty fun I guess. I really do like skiing.

18. Wait I have to be DONE now? But I could totally keep going! I'm finally getting my technique down! And it's actually nice out! And I'm skiing on snow and not rollerskis! And there are mountains!

19. But I'm definitely still not a morning person. And I love coffee (Lizzie's!!!) too much... and naps and quesadillas... and there's plenty of time for more skiing later.... yeah I think I'm good.

Me, Mary, and Makayla on Frozen Thunder
We wrapped up our camp in Canmore with a skate time trial and one of the hardest over-distance workouts I have ever done.  I've learned that when I'm faced with a long and tough workout, I really just have to put my head down, shut up, and focus purely on the task at hand; AKA trying not to trip, sprain an ankle, or have a complete meltdown. That doesn't mean I don't love what I'm doing, and it doesn't mean I don't want to be there, it just means that every ounce of my energy is being directed toward concentrating on the workout. Which is one of the reasons I love my sport, sometimes it just demands your full attention.

We're back in Sun Valley for two weeks, counting down the days to the West Yellowstone Ski Festival and the kickoff of our racing season! From there it's on to Bozeman, MT, then to Rossland, BC (Canada), and then before we know it, home for Christmas. I have a feeling this season will fly by.  Until we leave, we've got the SVSEF Wild West Game Dinner and lots of training to tackle. Bring on the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment